Sleeping problems affect 14% of the population. There are different causes and reasons for sleeping problems. Here are some causes that might be affecting you:
- To much stress .To much stress can be a big problem for a lot of people in todays modern world. Causes can range from work problems, school problems, home problems, or money problems. They of course are not limited to just those areas.
- Being unable to stop thinking Another thing that might be keeping you up at night could be that you cannot stop thinking as youre trying to fall asleep. This can be very detrimental to falling asleep and even getting a good nights rest.
- Eating the wrong kinds of foods Its true there are certain kinds of foods that will keep you up at night. These foods oftentimes act as stimulants and once they get into your bloodstream they stimulate your body and keep it awake.
- Avoid drinking caffeine before bed Any kind of caffeine will is a stimulant. It goes into your bloodstream and will keep you awake. Drinks with caffeine in them include: coffee, tea and soda.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes before bed Cigarettes have nicotine in them. Nicotine the same as caffeine acts as a stimulant and will keep your body from falling asleep.
- Certain Prescription Drugs There are certain drugs in the market that are actually causing sleeping problems in some people. Consult your doctor if you think you are one of these people who is having a hard time sleeping at night because of certain medications.
These are the things that could be affecting you as you try to fall asleep. There are also ways that can make falling asleep a lot easier. Here are some tips for falling asleep sooner and getting a better nights rest:
- Turn off all the lights Light acts as a kind of stimulant to the body and when there is light that is getting through your eyes your body thinks that it is still awake. This of course will inevitably cause sleeping problems in the long run.
- Avoid alcohol as a sleep aid While it is believed that alcohol helps you fall asleep faster. It also makes you more restless as you sleep. This equates to getting less quality sleep and so as you sleep you may wake up feeling like you didnt get any sleep at all.
- Relax before trying to fall asleep Relaxing is very helpful when trying to fall asleep. When you are asleep your muscles are in a state of relaxation. Sometimes problems with sleeping can be because you cannot get your muscles to relax. In order to relax your muscles focus on relaxing them. Pick a point in your body and focus on relaxing that point. When you feel that it has reached a good relaxing point pick another point and relax that area. You do this until your body is totally relaxed.
- Get exercise Exercise can improve the quality of your sleep. The reason is because when you do not exercise your muscles you are essentially leaving them a lot of excess energy that has not been burned off. This energy is then converted into fat cells. When you tire out the body a little however it wants to sleep. This helps you sleep better and wake up incredibly rejuvenated!
- Slow down your thinking Too many times we are kept awake because the brain does not want to stop thinking. The good news is however that there are many different ways to slow down thinking. One way is to meditate. You will feel calmer and more relaxed as time goes by if you start a regular dosage of meditation.
- Avoid exercise 2 hours prior to sleep time The reason for this important rule is because when you exercise your body knows that it is awake. There are endorphins as well as other things that kick in while you exercise and make you feel pretty good. Essentially exercising 2 hours before falling asleep will make you feel too awake to fall asleep.
- Prescription Medication If you have tried everything you can think and still cannot get a good nights rest it may be beneficial to consider prescription medication. While many turn to it as a last resort it often proves to be the thing helps people fall asleep faster.
- Dont focus on worries before bedtime This can obviously cause a lot of anxiety and worry before trying to fall asleep and will not help you fall asleep or help you have a good nights rest. It may even keep you awake depending on the level of stress the worry provides you.
- Get a comfortable bed One of the most obvious reasons for not getting a good nights rest can be caused by not sleeping on a comfortable enough bed or mattress.
It is also important to know that under eating can cause a lack of sleep as well. There are certain foods that you need to eat on a daily basis. For example having too little sugars and fats in your body can make you have sleepless nights. This is your bodies way of telling you that you need to feed it better.
When you sleep it gives your body and your brain rest time to recuperate and repair itself from the days demands. Without sleep a person who has been awake for 24 hours is said to be the equivalent of slightly drunk. This can obviously become a problem very quickly. The effects however will more then often wear off after a person has had their fair share of rest.
Getting sleep is very important. A lack of sleep can cause a variety of mental as well as physical illnesses. This is why it is important to consult your doctor if you are having a problem sleeping at night. The average person sleeps 33% or 1/3 of their life. The normal amount of sleep to have is around 6-9 hours daily depending on the individual. Without a certain amount of sleep the individual will be able to function on a level less then what they are capable of functioning on.